- Flaking Mills
- Hammer Mills
In the 20th and 21st Centuries, the need for both human and animal feed has grown significantly, along with an ever-increasing demand for size reduction machinery, particularly in the recycling industry. More and more firms have consequently popped up, selling machinery to help produce our food and recycle our waste. In the industrial sector, many companies producing machinery and equipment can’t trace their roots back beyond the 1960’s. What few people know is that collectively our company has been supplying the world with high-quality machinery since the 1800s.
Christy Turner Ltd was formed from five separate companies, each with their own individual expertise. Our service shines because we combine over a century and a half of experience with innovative ideas, the latest design tools, and sound engineering.
The company history started in 1837, when brothers Edward Rush and Frederick Turner formed ER & F Turner and began manufacturing steam engines from their at St Peter's Works in Ipswich. The company pioneered machine engine design and in 1851 they exhibited to more than six million visitors at the famous Great Exhibition, held at Crystal Palace. At the turn of the 20th century, ER & F Turner began producing flour mills before diversifying in to flaking mills for human food and animal feed in the early 1920s.
Since then, our flaking mills have been improved and updated and, in some cases, completely redesigned to work for today’s demanding factory conditions.
Meanwhile, in 1858 the Christy Brothers’ business was established to manufacture size reduction machines. With the amalgamation of Frank and Fell Christy’s Chelmsford stronghold with another local name, the company continued to grow significantly during the early 1900’s, expanding its product range.
The company’s diversification continued still further in the 1980s, when Christy’s acquired the businesses of Beken Engineering and Sturtevant Engineering Ltd. Shortly thereafter, the company became one of the UK's most renowned manufacturers of size reduction machinery, producing a full range of the original Christy & Norris pulverizers and hammer mills, Beken mixers and Sturtevant crushers.
Miracle Mills Ltd was originally based in London producing a range of hammer mills similar to the Christy products. The Miracle Mill business was acquired and revived by E R & F Turner in 1982 and relocated to Ipswich where the combined skill and engineering expertise of our staff enabled the development of a new range of hammer mills under the Miracle Mill brand.
In 2002, the Christy business was added to the existing E R & F Turner and Miracle Mill product range and the company name was changed to Christy Turner Ltd to reflect a new corporate identity. Today, Christy Turner’s machines operate in countries throughout the world, and hold an excellent reputation for reliability, flexibility and longevity. Collectively, our products provide precision and production engineering, and a wide range of size reduction machinery, roller mills, hammer mills, grinders and pulverizers to global markets.
The company rebranding in 2015 kept the Christy Turner trading name, but allowed the machinery brands to become more prominent. The names E R & F Turner, Miracle Mills and Christy & Norris are now proudly displayed alongside the company that brought them together:
Since Christy Turner's early beginnings, our products have diversified so extensively that there is now almost nothing that cannot be reduced, flaked or ground by a Christy Turner machine. From our early beginnings to today's applications in the human food, animal feed, mining, pharmaceutical, chemical, biomass, and recycling industries, we are now proud to say that for almost any "animal, vegetable, or mineral" material, there is a Christy Turner machine to suit your requirements.
Need help or have a question?
Tel: +44 (0)1473 742325